Tuesday, June 2, 2009

East Coast trip - May 20-26 2009

Well the trip mostly involved seeing family and a lot of driving, with some touristy highlights thrown in the mix. The trip included the cities of Binghamton (where I landed), New Jersey, New York, Boston, Amherst and Ithaca (for a little bit).

May 21 2009
I spent a few hours in New York where I took a sub ride to Brooklyn Bridge and walked up to the arch. It was hot, crowded and impressive at the same time. This was my second trip to New York - had already done the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island,Time Square and Rockefeller plaza in my first trip. This time I did a couple things I did not get to see the first time around. I looked around Grand Central Station as well. This was truly a stunning building on the inside. One level had a impressive food court with aromas of bakeries, indian cuisine and many others wafting as you walk by. Another level had a supermarket that didn't look too expensive for its location. If I lived in New York, I think I can maintain my weight sans any extra effort. All that walking in and to subways stations will do it for me. I enjoyed that part a lot- more relaxing that driving a car in a new place. It seemed like the work hours were longer here and in New Jersey possibly because of unavoidable commute times. I drove to Princeton at 8.30 in the night and while I did not get stuck in traffic, the highway was busy.

May 23 2009 - Boston
We stayed in Knights Inn, Danvers for 2 nights. It was okay is all I can say. Breakfast was abysmal, the room was clean but lacking in amenities (no fridge, no microwave) - just a TV. The wash basin was inlaid so much in the counter that you had to bend over to use it. We drove over to Boston harbor and parked in the Harbor garage at a whopping 35$ a day. We lazed around a little bit, had lunch in Faneuil Hall Marketplace and took a whale watching trip to Stellwagen Banks through the New England Aquarium. It was a long ride in and out and relatively less time watching whales. But the whales were plentiful and very close to the boat. I could see the mouth, the tail, the hump almost entire whales. I would take a faster boat if one was available. We came abk to Faneuil Marketplace to have dinner. The Greek/MiddleEastern place was really good with wraps and plates and such.
We came back to the harbor for the Boston Duck tour which gave a good overview of the city away from the harbor. Driving the Duck was also cool. We headed back to Knights Inn after the tour.

May 24 2009
We drove to Amherst to visit my cousin. We also stopped by the Puffer Pond and Quabbin reservoir before driving back to Binghamton. Amherst and surrounds had a very quiet slow life feel to it and as my cousin quipped that the number of cemeteries there (which is a lot) shows how popular it is with the retirement community. Many trees and some hilly drives around.

May 25 2009
Today was the best day sightseeing-wise. My brothers took us to Watkin-Glens Falls where we did the hike from the Upper Entrance to the Main Entrance. I took the bus back to get our car. We then drove to the South Entrance to have a nice picnic lunch prepared by Mom (Vetha koazhambu and thayir saadham) at the expansive lawns there. We also had some very good ice-cream in the Watkin Glens village before heading to Taughannock Falls. On the way we saw the expansive Seneca lake and Hector falls right by the road. Taughannock falls was very pretty in a natural setting and I only wish we had some time to hike down to the falls. The expansive view of the entire river after the falls and the granite-like backdrop of the falls was so impressive. We also stopped at the Cayuga lake picnic area, again very beautiful before we drove back home through Ithaca. Ithaca is also a buzzling town and would make a nice base for exploring this part of upstate. I wouls surely return and maybe even spend a week or more in this area which I tried to see in a day. Looking back, nice memories with family :-)

No comments: