Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bear Bonanza in Alaska - Planning

Planning:
This trip was special since DH said yes as soon as as I found a deal without stating at least 5 reasons why it may not be a good idea :-) Such is the lure of wildlife for him. Reserving a trip in May when planning to land there in the last week of August is not optimal when it comes to Alaska. RVs are all taken or expensive and even some popular trips are filled up. We reserved an RV with an obscure company called B&B RV rental. They were the cheapest (1200 paid in advance) and everything was included in one price with no extra charges. RV was okay and it all worked out.
I had booked two tickets to Anchorage so there was no indecision between southeast Alaska and the mainland - Anchorage and surroundings it was.

For a week trip like ours, you just need 1 base. In fact even if I had two weeks, I would still do Anchorage and maybe drive around more (covering Valdez and Homer). Next time I go, I will also consider Kodiak but be warned - not much glacial activity in Kodiak. One of the first things I booked was a bear trip with Emerald Air Service which I had to cancel to fit in budget. TripAdvisor was a boon when booking this trip.
1. Even though Denali is one of the most common tourist attractions in Alaska I learnt that it would be stupid to miss it especially when your main goal is viewing and enjoying wildlife. The value compared to the cost of visiting Denali is phenomenal.
2. Once I decided we have to do Denali, I wanted to maximize my time there and a decision to rent an RV proved critical as I could now camp in Teklanika campground. In fact based on sound advice from Tripadvisor I cancelled my reservations in Riley Creek campground and rebooked in Teklanika. The best wildlife viewing in my two day experience is between Teklanika and Eilson Visitor Center. The reason is the tundra landscape on both sides of the road where you can see for miles. From the entrance to almost Teklanika is the taiga forest. Beyond Eilson, it sorta turns marshy with many lakes.
3. A boat trip in Seward is not be missed.
4. No point driving all around if you can't spend a few days in each place spotting wildlife, going on hikes etc. There is so much more to see once you get off the road.
5. Camping in the Seward City campground is a delight.
6. A telephoto lens is essential for the trip whether you beg, borrow, steal (or buy :-)). Otherwise you would feel frustrated at every wildlife viewing.
7. A binoculars would be a good tool as well but a telephoto lens with the camera's viewer serves the same purpose.

No comments: